Study shows teens do stupid things

I had to shake my head when I read the headline called Why Teens do Stupid Things. The results, announced this week, were published in the September issue of the journal Psychological Science in the Public Interest.

So, why do they do stupid things, you ask? Here is the reason:

"...the desire for acceptance among peers wins out in the decision-making process of a young mind. Teens often decide that the benefits of risky behavior immediate gratification or peer acceptance."


Teens also take 170 milliseconds longer to ponder situations than adults. That's it, 170 milliseconds? My computer has more lag than that when I am surfing the internet.

Good job, jackasses. You just confirmed what parents of teenagers have known for the last 300 years or so. If you would like to read some more revleations in teen behavior like these subjects- Why Teens are Lousy at Chores, Human Nature: What We Learned in 2006, A Brief History of Human Sex and Why Teens Don't Care- then visit the link above. Those psychologists are all over it.

Comments

  1. Hmmm, I'd comment, but my resident 'teen' reads your blog, so I think I'll keep my opinions on this to myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low impulse threshold - I'm surprised they take as long as a whole 170 milliseconds, that must be an enormity to them!
    I'm guessing that one of the reasons they do take that long, is that they don't have the benefit of experience to inform them about risk - it's all uncharted territory and they're out Vasco-de-Gama-Exploring! Yee-haaw!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Commanding Officer sacked

Dog in Jail