Land HO!

As I wipe the sleep from my eyes this morning my wife asks me if I already know about the submarine that ran aground near Guam. I tell her no and I have a compelling desire to go to work on a Saturday so I can read the secret message boards to find out what the papers can't say. I think I'll wait until Monday.

It always amazes when a submarine hits the bottom of the ocean since we have so many safeguards to prevent it. Highly trained navigation divisions make it their priority to keep the ship safe using radar, charts, satellites, and good old fashioned compasses (well, they are bit more sophisticated than the compass you get out of a Cracker Jack box). The boat even has a sextant for crying out loud.

The USS SAN FRANCISCO was the victim of this incident and unfortunately, along with the black eye to the Navy, several crew members were hurt. The boat was submerged when the grounding took placed and, to me, that makes it even more scary.

I am brought back to the USS GREENVILLE some years ago that, after they sank a Japanese fishing boat and killed 9 school kids and collided with a tug boat, ran aground. This boat went through captains faster than Kerry could whip up Purple Heart awards for himself.

It just goes to show that there is danger in all parts of the world where the military operates. The saying "Freedom isn't free" almost became cliche after September 11 but it is a fact. I suspect this repair bill will be costly depending upon what was damaged.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dog in Jail

Commanding Officer sacked