Dirty White Boy

I had my first racial slur hurled at me yesterday by some kids who live in my neighborhood. I will admit that I am suprised it took this long before I caught one- just over 12 years living in Hawaii.

As I was driving back home after a ice day at the zoo with my family I noticed some kids in their mid-teens throwing a footbal around in the street at the entrance to the cul de sac to my apartment building. I have seen these kids before and watched them run in front of traffic chasing the football.

I slowed and then stopped at the entrance as this kid with the football ran close to my truck not paying attention to what he was doing. Five or six of his friends were in the middle of the crosswalk but only half of them noticed I drove up. I gave a quick honk to let them know I was there.

I didn't look at htem as I drove by and as I got a few truck lengths away from them one of them yelled "Who are you honking at, white boy?"

I put my breaks on and was going to jump out and say something, anything, I guess, but the voice of reason, who was sitting next to me, told me to keep going.

At first I was pissed but then I thought that this kid was just trying to save face in front of his friends because he got honked at. Then I realized that maybe he was just shit-talking but maybe he is just that ignorant. As a side note, I have had the Foreigner song Dirty White Boy stuck in my head ever since.

When faced with confrontation some people have nothing to fall back on but racial epithets or slurs when it is apparent they are in the wrong. A heated conversation falls apart when the loser resorts to "Yeah, well screw you nigger!", or "Oh yeah? Go suck a dick faggot!"

It is thse people that ensure race, gender, sexual orientation, or religious preference will always be at the forefront of the attack, but never the issue or courtesy of talking to someone like a good human.

Unlike the 8 year old kid I heard at the at the zoo asking his parents, "Get me something for drink", the ignorance of these teens will be harder to fix. It is already rooted in them and eats away at the 'Aloha Spirit' I hear so much about on the islands.

I don't know what this kid was mad at, but it wasn't me. It was something far greater than the honk of my horn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commanding Officer sacked

Dog in Jail