New Star Trek kicked some buttocks

I will never admit to being a Star Trek purist but I watched the television show as a kid and all the movies. I don't really care for The Next Generation and all the spin offs, but they are not that bad to watch. I rarely see movies in the theatre and prefer to sit in my own home and wear whatever I want, all the while eating my own cheapy Scooby Snacks. I really liked the new Star Trek movie.

I thought the movie was cleverly made and I knew they would not be able to go through the "prequel" without having a few nostalgic scenes with some original cast members. The only one that is really out there anymore is William Shatner as the Priceline Negotiator. Stupid commercials but it's Kirk, dammit. By the way, if you have never seen the Comedy Central roast of William Shatner you are really missing out.

There was one thing that took me a while to get over and that was seeing Zachary Quinto as a young, brilliant Spock. I am a huge Heroes fan and it just seemed eirie to see Quinto on a television screen without ripping the top of someone's head off. He really pulled off the role as Spock and looked good doing it.

As with most movies with an element of time travel in the plot, the outcome seemed a little uncertain to me. In the alternate reality of this movie Kirk's father is dead, Scotty has his own formula for warp drive beaming revealed to him, and Spock and Uhura are getting it on. I wondered if all this time alteration would change the future even more and alter the sequel movies in the Star Trek Universe. Would we still get the to hear the awesome cry from Kirk, "KAAAAAAAHN!" as he is marooned on that infant planet?

There were a few times that J.J. Abrams really played into the hands of the Star Trek geeks. The first one was seeing Kirk laying some pipe with the green skinned hottie and laying the foundation that skin color really doesn't matter when it comes to some good old fashioned sexy time. Another cliche that was well played was the unknown third party member that always gets axed when accompanying Kirk and his crew. Brilliant.



I enjoyed how Abrams really pulled the ingenuity and resourcefulness of the characters out of the script and set them up as kick ass elements of the future crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise. George Lucas did the same thing with his prequels. We all knew Yoda was a bad ass Jedi Master, but what self respecting Star Wars geek didn't get excited when Yoda pulled out his little light saber and started flying around all over the place and fucking shit up?

I don't normally give my opinion about a movie I have seen because 1) nobody cares about film critiques, 2) I am not timely with them since I don't see them until they come out on DVD and, 3) there are much better plot spoilers than I. But it's my blog so I can do whatever the hell I want and I really liked this movie.

Old School Star Trek



The Young Ones

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commanding Officer sacked

Dog in Jail